Reality check. Turn that fat into muscle.
10 Terrifying two-sentence horror stories
"I just saw my reflection blink."
The light from the TV is usually comforting during my late night watch sessions. That was before the power went out, and the lady the screen started smiling.
I was alone in my room when suddenly, out of nowhere, came the smell of a fart that wasn’t mine.
"What spider?" I asked.
Most importantly: you’re stronger than you think.
WHY DOES THIS NOT HAVE MORE NOTES
Today’s PonAI contains a lot of little details that are worth mentioning.
Firstly, to make Celestia’s computer seem more realistic, I took the time to code a nearly perfect copy of the actual web-based email client I use.
The emails she’s received can be completely viewed in the second image above (you may need to right-click and select “view image” or thereabouts to make it big enough). They fall into three simple groups: emails based on characters from the show (Twilight, Shining Armor, Cadence and Blueblood), references to other Tumblrs and actual spam that I’ve received lately (slightly reworded to match the setting).
In the case of the emails from in-show characters, I attempted to mimic their behavior in a way that seems reasonable:
- Twilight’s emails all have the same subject (“Dear Princess Celestia”), save for the one that was a reply, which is the same thing with the prefix “Re: ” prepended.
- All of Blueblood’s emails are marked URGENT, and his displayed name is configured to draw attention to his status. His greeting also shifts extra sweet when he’s asking for money.
- Shining Armor’s emails are direct and to the point; in fact, he doesn’t have his client set to display a name or nickname. Thus his emails have his own email in the from column.
- As for Cadence, I’m guessing that she’d be the type of pony to forward just about anything she found amusing, and we all have relatives that do that, don’t we?
Here are the other Tumblrs that make guest appearances via Celestia’s inbox:
- We have a news bulletin talking about a hairless pony in a squirrel costume causing mayhem, which can only be his royal highness Sir Reginald Butterscop Pendragon Jr. VI, aka Butters the Alicorn.
- An email inviting Celestia to a tea party arrived from a princess over on the island of Echinda, which can only be everyone’s favorite gorgon pony, Medusa.
- Celestia’s latest order from The Crop is ready to be picked up. I’ll leave the specifics to your imagination.
- There is also a newsletter from the Summer Song Cafe, which offers one of their more notable items.
- Naturally, I had to find a way to sneak a certain blue modpony into PonAI sooner or later, and their noted distrust of mayo is the perfect means. Just in case anypony doesn’t already know who that is, they are are mod behind Ask King Sombra.
- Last but not least, there’s a quick exchange between her royal highness and one of the famous Nightguards about a strange mythical creature designated WCP-1984.
The email claiming to be from Tumblr really is from Tumblr: since I use a browser based email client, I was able to just copy it as an HTML page and display it in the mock up client.
Two other little easter eggs to be found in this update. One is the number of unread messages in Celestia’s inbox, which is a famous number that most geeks will know. The other is that she’s set her sister’s name as “Lulu” in her Contacts (aka address book). This is a bit of fandom silliness: it’s commonly believed that the two celestial sisters use affectionate nicknames for each other. Celestia calls her sister Luna by the name “Lulu” (or “Little Lulu”), while she’s often called “Tia” by Luna.